Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Monday, September 3, 2012

In Which I Become a Complete Brent Crawford Fan Girl

I love Will Carter.

Truly I do. In a kind of, he'd be the funniest yet most annoying little brother ever, but I want to pat him on the head and say "aw, my boy's all growed up (but not entirely)" way.

Hi, my name is Sarah Billington and I am a complete Brent Crawford fan girl.

He brought Carter into my life a couple of years ago with this book...


Carter Finally Gets It

Meet Will Carter, but feel free to call him Carter. (Yes, he knows it's a lazy nickname, but he didn't have much say in the matter.) 
Here are five things you should know about him: 

1. He has a stuttering problem, particularly around boobs and belly buttons. 

2. He battles Attention Deficit Disorder every minute of every day...unless he gets distracted. 

3. He's a virgin, mostly because he's no good at talking to girls (see number 1). 

4. He's about to start high school. 

5. He's totally not ready. 

Join Carter for his freshman year, where he'll search for sex, love, and acceptance anywhere he can find it. In the process, he'll almost kill a trombone player, face off with his greatest nemesis, suffer a lot of blood loss, narrowly escape death, run from the cops (not once, but twice), get caught up in a messy love triangle, meet his match in the form of a curvy drill teamer, and surprise the hell out of everyone, including himself.


And then again with this book... 

Carter's Big Break

After surviving freshman year (just barely), Carter is craving his summer break. Unfortunately, when he and his girlfriend, Abby, part ways, it looks as though summer just might break him. Things start to look up when he's unexpectedly cast in an independent film opposite the world's biggest tween sensation, Hilary Idaho. With Hollywood knocking on his door, Carter gets a taste of the good life. But as the film spirals out of control, he begins to fear that he's not the "somebody" he thinks he is and more the "nobody" he's sure he always has been. Find out if Carter goes Hollywood...or Hollywood goes Carter. 




And then, most recently, I got to hang with Carter and his boys again in this book...

Carter's Unfocused, One-Track Mind

After an eventful freshman year and disastrous summer, fifteen-year-old Will Carter returns to Merrian High none the wiser. His sophomore year will present a host of new problems: the return of Scary Terry from juvie, the pregnant presence of Amber Lee, friends-with-benefits negotiations with Abby, prom night expectations, and the ever-constant harassment from his boys. When Abby announces that she might be transferring to a New York arts school, Carter's world is turned upside down and he'll be forced to make the biggest decision of his life. In his signature voice, author Brent Crawford details young Will Carter's high school struggles, this time focusing on Carter's discovery of his true passion and the sacrifices he'll need to make.



While reading, I laughed out loud a whole bunch of times and subjected my sister and her boyfriend to funny paragraphs that I thought were simply genius. I had them trapped in a car so they couldn't run away from me and my Carter recital anyway. They could roll their eyes (which my sister did when I first started) but they both laughed when I started reading (at the book, not at me. I think) so it all ended up brilliantly.

The Carter series is just so REFRESHING. Contemporary fiction from the boy's point of view, and OH how different it is to a girl's.

There are no boys to swoon over in these books, these are the kind of boys who push each other over and shave off someone's eyebrow because they think it's funny.

And in Carter's world, it totally is.

If you like comedies and contemporary young adult fiction I highly recommend these books. Seriously. I don't know Brent Crawford (I totally want to write him a fan letter though, but don't know how to contact him) but am a big, big fan.

I can't wait for the next book. I really really hope there will be a next book.

So this is my fan girl post. I'm sharing the book love. What books, movies, bands or things do you LOVE SO MUCH OH SO MUCH that you want the world to also recognise the awesome (mostly so you have someone to talk about it with)?

Love,


2 comments:

  1. What a glowing review! Those books sound like they are made of awesome. I'm going to have to check them out, they sound like something both my daughter and I might like :)

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! They're SO GOOD!
      ...I mean *cough* they're alright.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?