Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Book Review Time! (3) The Enemy by Charlie Higson



They’ll chase you. They’ll rip you open. They’ll feed on you.

When the sickness came, every parent, police officer, politician – every adult- fell ii. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry. 


Only children under fourteen remain, and they’re fighting to survive.

Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide. And so a gang of children begin their quest across London, where all through the city -down alleyways, in deserted houses, underground- the grown ups lie in wait.



Authors and Publishers - don't knock Remainder Stores. To those of you who don't know about them, you know those warehouse bookshops that turn up around holiday times? Where books are $1-5 etc? They're not exactly profitable for publishers, but I have become a lifelong fan of some authors whose books I have found at Remainder Stores, that I had never heard of beforehand. 


That said, I would like to make an announcement: 


My name is Sarah and I am a Zombie-holic.


Okay so that's probably taking it a bit far but I gotta admit, I'm getting into the whole zombie thing lately, and if you're curious about what EXACTLY the appeal of pussy, boil covered, missing limbed, blood and gut covered disemboweling, human-munching zombies is - The Enemy is a good book to get you started.


There is a perfect balance between gore, genuine emotion, intrigue and scares in this book as the reader follows the Waitrose crew, a bunch of kids who have been holed up in a Waitrose supermarket for over a year as the zombie plague overtakes London.


But they can't stay there forever. They have to move. Some will make it. Some won't, and you might not be able to guess who does.


How does one Waitrose kid fare, who decides to stay in the shop ALONE?
How about that kid who was snatched by the zombies and presumed dead?
What are those NON-Zombie adults doing down in the tube stations?
Can kids survive after being bitten?
Was that zombie that just tried to kill you someone you knew before? Was it your parent?


I just bought the sequel, The Dead (for full-price, see what I mean about remainder stores?) and am looking forward to getting started. When I finish the book I'm reading now.

2 comments:

  1. Me too! Zombies FTW! Though I wouldn't want to be a zombie. That would kind of suck. They're just so messy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?