Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

It's Book Review Time! (2) The Maze Runner by James Dashner

This will be a rave. Just so you know.


The Maze Runner
by James Dashner

When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas can remember is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade, an encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible maze. 
Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there, or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they will risk everything to find out - even the Grievers, half-machine, half-animal horrors that hunt the Maze's walled corridors.

I'd heard of this book ages ago. I'd heard people raving about it ages ago and yeah, it was definitely on my to-read list but I just didn't get to it.
This week however, was the week.
And I can't believe I waited so long. Dashner is an incredible story-teller. Every time I was settling in, knowing what was surely going to come next there was a new twist. The story was turned up on its head. Every time there was an insurmountable problem that wasn't enough. He added another problem to be dealt with as well.
For the first 20-30 pages I must admit I was struggling to get into the book. Thomas wakes up with no memory and no idea where he is and a whole bunch of boys who have the answers. He asks a lot of questions - questions I have as well, but the boys are essentially like "enough with the questions, idiot, we'll tell you when we want you to know" and I was like ARGH! I want to know NOW! Alas I didn't find out now, I had to learn some patience instead. And it was totally worth it.

As a writer, I learned a lot from reading The Maze Runner and I really respect Dashner and his editors for their hard work because it most certainly paid off.
I'm thrilled there's going to be a movie! It'll be a blockbuster, for sure. And there's a sequel! Squee, there's a sequel! With an epilogue like THAT there couldn't NOT be a sequel. (The epilogue...OMG...)

The Maze Runner is the first in a trilogy of action-adventure dystopian novels that I highly recommend.

It's out now. Read it, peeps.


Sarah out.

4 comments:

  1. This was one of those books where I just marvelled at the author's imagination and brilliance, but also appreciated his story-telling ability. I'm reading "I Am Number Four" right now and, though, I'm intrigued by the concept, I feel like the writing is a bit sluggish. It's early, though, so I'm hoping that changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know re: James Dashner's GENIUS. I too was marveling at his story-telling. I haven't read I Am Number Four yet. The movie trailer looks good though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must read The Scorch Trials, book 2 in the trilogy. Even more waiting-for-the-other-shoe-to-drop moments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?