Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Monday, April 19, 2010

The importance of Book Covers

I think book cover art is important. It is recognised in the publishing industry as being important, as they spend a lot of time, creative energy and money on getting the cover just right.

For series, covers are not designed for the longterm reader, but to draw in new readers. Loyal readers, it doesn't matter what the cover looks like, they love the series already and are going to buy the next book regardless, right?

Well, to me? Sort of.

I love the Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls books by Meg Cabot. They're about Allie Finkle who is in the 4th grade and is having trouble navigating family, friendships, teachers and school, so she comes up with some guidelines and rules. One rule for instance, is never to eat anything red. She just doesn't do it.

Anyway, I think Meg does an excellent job with these books, and the covers are kind of adorable. I understand why they're popular with their TARGET audience, and not just me.
I am a bit of a Meg Cabot fan girl and I've been looking forward to the next book in the series, Glitter Girls and the Great Fake Out.


It's cute, right? All the books have the same girl on the cover, representing Allie. When I found the book in an Australian bookstore, I came across a different cover. I couldn't find an image of the Glitter Girls cover, but the new cover design is the same, just in different colours.


Um...no. I want the other cover. The really cute cover. I don't like this style of cover at all.
And I seem to feel so strongly about the cover art of my books, that I decided not to buy this version, even though I'm not judging the book by its cover. I know it's going to be a good book. But I just don't want THAT.

What do you guys think of a book's cover art? Does it make that much of an impact on whether or not you buy a book?

In my Publishing class today, we were looking at text and cover design. I think it's an area of the industry I might really be interested in.

In other news, happy birthday to me!

Adios,

Sairz

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?