Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Saturday, January 9, 2010

My VERY White Christmas and crowded New Year



I'm tuckered out.

Haven't had much computer access since I left for Christmas in the Scottish Highlands.
What had been going on before I left...oh yeah, there had been a teeny weeny bit of snow in Leeds and I was all "OH MY GOD IT'S SNOWING THIS IS FRICKIN AWESOME".

Aw bless. I knew NOTHING about snow then. See, in the Highlands in
Scotland? Tons and tons of snow.

On the first day of my trip we went for a walk in a park.



You see what I'm sayin'? It was like Narnia. You know, in the bit when everyone's all depressed and the evil Witch is all power trippin'. It was like Narnia but happier.

So Christmas was pretty awesome and amazingly beautiful and we had Scottish men in kilts serving us at Christmas dinner so really, what more could you want?

The only bummer about snow - okay thinking about it I've learnt there are a couple of bummers about snow, in that it's hard to walk on, I'm a champion at NOT seeing black ice and falling over on it and snow's FRICKIN cold! - but the bummer I'm talking about is that you can't actually SEE any of the countryside. You can see the snow covered countryside. So I don't know what Scotland usually looks like, but I know what it looks like when in shades of white. And it sure is pretty.

My friend Bec arrived in Edinburgh to party with me at the biggest Street Party in the world, which is Hogmanay (New Years) in Edinburgh and it was a lot of fun...to start with.
Yes. There were LOTS of people, but also pockets of space and we were quite happily watching one of the free bands in the street party, having a good time. But then more and more people came. And most of them were drunk. And they were very pushy. As in they would walk and shove you aside. And the crowd got so big that there wasn't actually anywhere for you to be shoved to.


And this photo is from when the crowd was manageable.
I was nearly trampled at one point, standing beside the bit of a trailer that connects to a car, I was pushed by the crowd from behind so that my legs got caught on the trailer, the guy standing on the other side of the trailer was holding my top half up, screaming at the crowd to stop pushing. But they didn't. I was worried I was going to break one of my legs cos it was getting bent in a direction it really shouldn't. But I managed to get it free and stand up again. That was when the police arrived to ask if I was okay. I am - I'm fine. I just have some doozies of bruises on my legs. It's been over a week and they're still purple. That's probably bad, right?

So um, Hogmanay was great before that little hiccup.

I do really like Edinburgh and Scotland though. Must see it in the summer sometime.


2 comments:

  1. How crazy snow must be for you to experience! Glad you got to enjoy it--looks like a nice walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Snow's been amazing. And SO beautiful. However I'm glad I can just visit snow and don't have to deal with it all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?